With the abundance of CBD-infused skincare products flooding the market over the past few years, it can be confusing to figure out which ones are best. And if the number of options isn’t enough to confuse you, according to a 2017 study published in the Journal of the American Medical Association, over 60% of CBD products sold online are labeled with inaccurate potencies. Knowing more about CBD products before you buy them will help you choose safer and more effective brands!
Everyone has heard of THC (tetrahydrocannabinol), the most famous active ingredient in cannabis plants, but we’re still getting to know CBD or cannabidiol. Unlike THC, pure CBD is a non-psychoactive cannabinoid, meaning it doesn't make you feel high.There is evidence that cannabidiol provides both antioxidant and anti-inflammatory benefits for skin, and it may be helpful in treating a variety of skin conditions such as eczema, psoriasis, and acne.
Here are 5 tips to consider the next time you’re shopping for a quality CBD skin care product:
1) Read the label Your skincare products should be free of artificial fragrances, parabens, and phthalates. Look for products that use organic and natural ingredients, such as essential oils for scent instead of fragrance oils. Also look for brands that minimize plastics and offer recyclable/reusable packaging when possible.
2) Understand the type of CBD in your product CBD-infused products are formulated using full-spectrum CBD oil, broad-spectrum CBD oil or CBD isolate. Look for products that mention "cannabidiol", "hemp extract", "broad-spectrum CBD", "full-spectrum CBD”, or "hemp CBD" on the label. Also, note that hemp seed oil or cannabis Sativa seed oil isn't the same thing as CBD oil. CBD oil is extracted from the leaves and flowers of the hemp plant and is finer and lighter than hemp seed oil.
3) Ask for a third-party lab report CBD skin care companies will provide customers with a lab report if requested. This will help confirm what’s actually in the product and whether or not it’s safe to use. The report should be recent and should confirm that the product is free from contaminants.
4) Make sure the hemp cultivation practices used by the company are sustainable The company should talk about their hemp cultivation practices on their website or other marketing materials. Ideally the farmers are using best practices, including sourcing seeds from accredited collectives, and abstaining from pesticides and GMOs.
5) Look for positive reviews Do a little research on the company. Take a look at the reviews on their website, as they can give you insight into the type of experience that other customers have had with the brand.
As with any skincare product, it’s always best to do a patch test on your skin to ensure that you’re not allergic to anything in the product before applying it to large areas. Taking a little time to read the label and do some research will help you find the quality CBD product you’re looking for.
- Nurse Jenn
Medical Disclaimer The information contained on this website is presented for the purpose of education only. Nothing contained on this website should be construed nor is intended to be used for medical diagnosis or treatment. It should not be used in place of the advice of your physician or other qualified healthcare provider. Should you have any health care related questions, please call or see your physician or other qualified healthcare provider promptly. Always consult with your physician or other qualified healthcare provider before embarking on a new treatment, diet, or fitness program. You should never disregard medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on this, or any website.